Zachary Ransel is a partner at Whelan Arnold, LLC and concentrates his practice in subrogation, breach of contract, and insurance coverage litigation involving first-party and bad faith claims. He also has significant experience in the areas of products liability, commercial litigation and construction law. Additionally, Mr. Ransel has considerable familiarity with the defense of Magnuson-Moss and consumer fraud claims, representing one of the largest recreational vehicle manufacturers in the country.
Mr. Ransel has litigated cases all over the country in both state and federal courts. Mr. Ransel's experience includes the successful independent execution of hundreds of depositions, numerous pre-trial settlement conferences, arbitrations and mediations, and considerable trial work. He is often engaged in the litigation of large disputes involving claims in excess of $10,000,000. Mr. Ransel also devotes a significant amount of his practice to representing architects, engineers, accountants and other professionals in actions alleging professional negligence and malpractice.
Mr. Ransel is admitted to the U.S. Tax Court and has assisted both individual and corporate taxpayers in disputes with the Internal Revenue Service. The result of these disputes is often a reduction in the taxpayer's tax liability or an increase in the taxpayer's refund.
B.S. - Economics from Miami University in 1997
J.D. - Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in 2001
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Tax Court
- Illinois State Bar
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Pro hac vice throughout the United States
- ExxonMobil Oil Corp. v. Amex Const. Co., Inc., 2009 WL 3788886, 2 (N.D. Ill. 2009).
- Wayne County Airport Authority v. Allianz Global Risks US Ins. Co., 2013 WL 4426456 (E.D. Mich. 2013).
- B.S.C. Holding, Inc. v. Lexington Ins. Co., 2015 WL 5333086 (10th Cir. Sept. 15, 2015).
- Sauer v. Lexington Ins. Co, 2014 WL 1316122 (E.D.N.C. 2014).
- Greater New Jerusalem Temple of Truth, Inc. v. Sentinel Ins. Co., No. 49A02-1501-PL-61, 2015 WL 4646938 (Ind. Ct. App. Aug. 6, 2015).
- Insurer's Bad Faith Liability in the Absence of Coverage: First-Party and Third-Party Claims - Speaker, Strafford Legal Webinar - September 9, 2015.
- Defending the Bad Faith Claim in the Absence of Coverage - Co-Author, Insurance Bad Faith and Extra-Contractual Liability Seminar - June 17, 2015.